A large part of the success of a conference hinges on the quality of the chairs. The Director’s recommendation is very valuable to us, even crucial. In order to help us make judicious decisions, and sort equitably between the applications received, we must count on the Director’s input.
When formulating your recommendation, could you please, among other things, consider the following questions and provide us with insights as appropriate:
- How has the student demonstrated his or her leadership skill and style? Please provide concrete examples.
- How does the student deal with unanticipated challenges and stressful situations? Please provide concrete examples.
- What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of the student as a chair? If he or she hasn’t chaired in previous conferences, please answer based on what you’ve seen in other settings, such as clubs, mentoring sessions, etc.
- Lastly, how would you evaluate the student’s familiarity with parliamentary procedures?
- Are there any remaining thoughts you would like to share about the person?
To streamline the process, the application file consists of three separate documents:
- Application form filled out by the student – downloadable as Form III. This is a writable PDF, and can be completed electronically
- A letter of application from the student (in which his “voice” should be clearly heard: his motivations, his goals, the achievements of which he is most proud, etc…)
- A letter of recommendation from the MUN Director (in which specific and revealing anecdotic information is shared: a specific hurdle the candidate overcame, an incident he solved successfully, how he fares in stressful situations, etc…) covering the questions mentioned above
Directors should be aware that too great a discrepancy between their recommendation and evaluation of the student on the one hand, and his performance as chair if he is appointed on the other, may result in a distrust of their recommendation in years to come… and should therefore strive to be as accurate and authentic as possible.
The deadline for applications this year is: Monday, September 24, 2018. Applicants will be informed no later than October 1st (when FORM II opens online) whether they have been appointed, and successful applicants should be willing and committed to travel to Paris ahead of their delegation and participate in the Pre-Conference briefing workshop for Student Officers on Thursday, November 29, 2018.
Click here to view our Data Privacy Notice