The International Court of Justice (ICJ) is one of the most prestigious and one of the most exciting simulations of an international judiciary body. Form VI, which is downloadable below, is an application for Judges. For more information about the ICJ, the Judge position and the case before the Court this year, please refer to the ICJ page.
The application file consists of three separate documents:
- Application form filled out by the student applicant – downloadable as Form V below
- A letter of application from the student in which his/her “voice” should be clearly heard: his/her experience and qualifications, his/her motivations, goals, achievements of which he/she is most proud, etc (or a joint letter with his/her co-advocate might also be acceptable)
- A letter of recommendation from the MUN Director in which specific and revealing anecdotal information is shared: a specific hurdle the candidate overcame, an incident he/she solved successfully, how he/she fares in stressful situations, etc.
In order to be effective and to enlighten the appointment process, the Director may wish in his letter to answer some or all of the following questions:
- How would you evaluate the person’s ability to analyze and weigh evidence? Please provide concrete examples.
- To what extent can the person be expected to maintain impartiality in the court?
- Can the person clearly deliver his or her message in a persuasive manner yet also be able to listen to others and sometimes concede?
- Lastly, how would you evaluate the person’s familiarity with ICJ procedures?
- Are there any remaining thoughts you would like to share about the person?
Directors should be aware that too great a discrepancy between their recommendation and evaluation of the student and his/her performance on the ICJ if he/she is appointed may result in a distrust of their recommendation in years to come… and should therefore strive to be as accurate and authentic as possible.
The deadline for the Group II application is September 24, 2018, and the results should be released at the latest before FORM II online opens on October 1st, 2018.
Click here to view our Data Privacy Notice